…is also known as the NBA Season Opener between the Miami Heat and the Boston Celtics. And as I flip through my mental thesaurus, I can’t settle on one word to describe this game. But for the sake of this post, I’ll settle on the word epic.
This game will have tons of implications in it by the time its over. So many questions will be answered tonight by the time the buzzer rings, but plenty more will have been generated as well. This 2010 season quite possibly may be the most exciting season in decades, at least to my recollection. And like it or not, the off season charades and shenanigans ended up breathing new life into the sport. From ESPN’s shameless coverage to players’ twitter accounts, us fans and bloggers have made sure not to miss a beat of news or drama, all leading up to tonight.
There are countless reasons why you and I want to watch this game, and this particular match up to be more specific. Allow me to suggest the following questions to ask yourself and to keep in mind while watching tonight’s game.
- Will the urge to take over the game stop LeBron and/or Wade from letting team chemistry flow?
- Is Kevin Garnett really reborn?
- Can LeBron James really settle as the facilitator of the team, thus making him 2nd option?
- Which Miami Heat player will prove to be the 4th man on the court?
- Will Rajon Rondo show that he just may be the mostdangerous PG in the league?
- Can Spoelstra effectively handle the task of balancing egos and talent?
- Will Boston prove that they now have the deepest bench in the league?
- Will the O’Neals be what Boston needs to shutdown the Lakers, in less than 7?
- Has LeBron evolved on the court mentally.
- Which team will prove to be the most threat to the Los Angeles Lakers? And why?
These questions intrigue me the most. Answering them will give us more insight as to what we can expect to see in the coming months.
So there we have it, an unstoppable force and an immovable object, just like in a Batman movie. But just like in the end of such movies, there is always the next villain…waiting. They’ve been there, lingering the whole time…..watching and waiting.
We see you Laker fans. Taking notes.
Enjoy the game while you can. Because the truth is that while both Miami and Boston begin their epic battle tonight, it will be the first of many. The winner of their season long war will have grown stronger and even more dangerous than they were before tonight’s game. One will be left standing, hovering over their fallen foe of the East and then at that exact moment they will look up and turn their head…. towards you.
Dave E. Gold